Monday, December 5, 2005

The Awakening

So, if at the moment of lucidity we are suddenly ‘awake’ in our dreams and we have this somewhat heightened perception, and we are able to make things happen than prior to that moment, we must have just been running on autopilot and we didn’t notice anything was wrong. Clearly the experience did not feel substantially different to us from our waking life that we even notice an oddity and deduce that we are in a dream. Even through wild romps through strange lands fighting giant robots. But anyone who has been lucid will probably tell you that being ‘awake in a dream’ is a totally different experience from either waking or dream life. What does this say about that way we live our waking lives?

I’m struck now by the importance of this limbo period in my life. Limbo though, now, not the most appropriate word, for I see it now more as my ‘awakening’. The recent attraction to dreams, the early summer dream journal, the limited means for outside social contact, the office in my bedroom, the title of my blog… It’s been staring me in the face this whole time. It is the time for lucid dreams. It is the time for learning in my sleep that which I cannot learn while I am ‘awake’. It is the time to overcome all my personal demons. It is the time for sleep….

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” ~Thoreau

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home